The Lagos State Employment Trust Fund (“LSETF” or “the Fund”) was established by The Lagos State Employment Trust Fund Law 2016 to provide financial support to residents of Lagos State, for job, wealth creation and to tackle unemployment. LSETF serves as an instrument to inspire the creative and innovative energies of all Lagos residents and reduce unemployment across the State. The Fund has the mandate to directly invest N25Billion in helping Lagos residents grow and scale their Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (“MSMEs”) or acquire skills to get better jobs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Public Sector Economist
Location: Ikeja, Lagos
Job Type: Full-time
- The Lagos State Government, through the Lagos State Employment Trust Fund (LSETF), Ministry of Economic Planning and Budget (MEPB) and Ministry of Wealth Creation & Employment (MWCE), seeks to partner with Big Win Philanthropy to scale up its efforts to tackle the scourge of unemployment in Africa’s most populous city, Lagos, Nigeria.
- The programme is targeted at delivering this objective through four (4) identified work streams:
- Building an evidence base of the Lagos tech sector outlining key gaps and opportunities to accelerate job creation
- Train and certify 10,000 tech talents in Lagos to secure full-time employment or start their own businesses
- Develop and deploy a performance management dashboard to inform decision-making for the Governor and key stakeholders
- Strengthen technical capacity within LSETF and the Ministry of Economic Planning and Budget to execute high-impact job creation interventions
- The Senior Economist will guide the direction of the Economic Intelligence Unit to fulfill the department’s goal of providing insight into the socio-economic realities of the state across various sectors of the Lagos economy including the tech ecosystem.
- Monitor and provide an overview of the state economy particularly concerning productivity, sectoral growth, household consumption & expenditures, and employment.
- To develop further insight into economic data produced by LBS and any other data producer within the state statistical system.
- Provide in-depth analysis and forecasts for all core economic indicators in Lagos state
- Develop economic models to assist the government in the early identification of the impact of economic policies on job-creating sectors including tech
- To monitor and provide an overview of the economy, particularly concerning productivity, sectoral growth, investment opportunities, and employment.
- To monitor and identify factors inhibiting the realization of set economic targets by bodies operating in the private and public sectors of the economy.
- Research and recommend possible economic solutions to address perceived economic challenges in key growth and employment-creating sectors in Lagos
- Work closely with other sectors and departments specifically with the Lagos State Employment Trust Fund on designing job creation and growth strategies within key growth sectors of the Lagos economy including tech
- To analyze and provide further insight and intelligence on any observed trends within the economy with a special emphasis on labor market information and key growth sector developments (including the emerging tech sector).
- To research and produce comprehensive periodic policy reports on critical economic growth sectors of the state including the tech sector
- Provide strategic and analytic input to the Commissioner of Economic Planning and Budget on key levers of growth and job creation within the Lagos economy.
- First Degree (minimum of Second Class) in Economics or other related field from a recognized higher institution. Postgraduate Degree will be an added advantage
- Professional Certification in project management is acceptable
- Minimum of 5 years cognate experience in related function.
- Experience in Non-Profit/Social Impact/Programme Management is required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required for the Role:
- Programme/Project Management Skills
- Leadership Skills
- Communication Skills
- Business Writing; Presentation and Report Writing
- Analytical and Problem-Solving Skill
- Relationship Management Skills
- Stakeholder Engagement Experience
- Business Acumen
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Application Deadline Friday, 9th December.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.